Workers' Comp/Non-WC

Workers’ compensation is a mandatory insurance program provided by the University of Minnesota that provides for payment of medical expenses and lost wages for employees who suffer work-related injuries or illness. This system may also provide permanent disability benefits for those who qualify. Minnesota state law regulates which benefits are due to an injured employee. The University pays the full cost of the workers’ compensation program and contracts with Sedgwick Claims Management Services (SCMS) to administer the claims.


It’s important that supervisors are notified right away when an employee is injured during work.  Early reporting will allow the University and Sedgwick to communicate with the employee about additional resources as needed. See the Procedure | Reporting and Managing a Worker’s Compensation Claim for further employee and supervisor responsibilities.

First Report of Injury Form - (Electronic Form, preferred)

Temporary Prescription Drug ID Card - (PDF fillable version)

Accidents (non-employee):
Bodily Injury/ Property Damage Report - (PDF fillable version)
Bio-Hazard-Related Injury - (HTML: Environmental Health and Safety Office) 

University Policies:
University of Minnesota Administrative Policy in Reporting Workers' Compensation Related Injuries

Compensation Options For Work-related Injuries

The employee can choose one of the two options below to be paid when losing time from work for a work-related injury:

  • The employee gets paid 1/3rd from the University.  The employee uses their sick, comp and/or vacation accruals for that 1/3rd.  Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc. (Sedgwick, the insurance company) pays the employee 2/3rds of their average weekly wage when their claim is approved.
  • The employee gets paid nothing by the University.  The employee does not have to use their sick, comp or vacation accruals for a work-related injury.  Sedgwick pays 2/3rds of the employee’s average weekly wage when their claim is approved.  

It is important this is done in a timely manner to avoid overpayments from the University or Sedgwick.

Please ensure you communicate any lost time pertaining to this injury.  It is important that you do so in a timely manner to avoid any overpayments between the University and Sedgwick.  Depending on how many days of lost time an individual has, they may be eligible for FMLA that would run concurrently with their workers’ compensation claim.  

If you have questions you can contact your Sedgwick Claims Manager or UMD HR’s Workers’ Compensation Coordinator. 

UMD HR Workers’ Compensation Contact

If you have any medical documents or doctor notes, please fax them to UMD HR at 218-726-6590 or email them to [email protected] and we will ensure Sedgwick receives them as well.